September 14 & 15, 2013
Important Fall Estates Auction
Featuring Fine Art, Furniture, Decorative Objects and Asian Works from the Natchez, MS Collection of Esteemed Antiquarian Robert E. Canon • Property Sold to Benefit the Morris Museum of Art, Augusta, GA • Contemporary Art from a Prominent Corporate Collection • Property from the Estate of Author and Historian, Earle Williams Newton II, Ponte Vedra, FL • Property of Others.
- Large Chinese Blue and White Porcelain Dish, late Ming (1368-1644), dia. 18¼ in., Prov.: Sotheby’s, October 1983, lot 215.
- Edwin Lord Weeks (American, 1849-1903), “Bullock Cart before Stores and Houses, Ahmedabad, India,” sd., 25 x 32 1/8 in.
- Circle of Claude-Joseph Vernet (French, 1714-1789), “Capriccio of a Classical Port, with Mt. Vesuvius,” late 18th/ early 19th c., o/c on masonite, sd., 30¼ x 48½ in.
- Joseph Rusling Meeker (American/Louisiana, 1827- 1889), “Bayou View,” 1878, o/c, sd., 14 x 10 in.
- Edward Stratton Holloway (American/Pennsylvania, 1859-1939), “A Young Man and a Child beside an Atlantic Beach,” o/c, sd., 30 x 50 in.
- Chinese Blue and White Porcelain Mallet Form Vase, Chenghua Mark but Kangxi (1662-1722), h. 10 in.
- Chinese Blue and White Porcelain Sleeve Vase, Transitional (c. 1630-1650), h. 10½ in., Prov.: Estate of Philip Kappel; Sotheby’s, January 1982, lot 381.
- Fine Georgian Chinoiserie Cabinet on Chest, 18th c., h. 72 in.
- Fine Italian Pietra Dura Inlaid Marble Center Table, 19thc., dia. 35 in.
- Chinese Blue and White Porcelain Covered Jar, early Kangxi (1662-1722), h. 23½ in., Prov.: Sotheby’s, March 1984, lot 494.
- Chinese Blue and White Porcelain Yen Yen Vase, Kangxi (1662-1722), h. 18½ in., Prov.: Sotheby’s, April 1985, lot 170.
- Georgian Walnut and Parcel Gilt Mirror, 18th c., h. 56 in.
- Alexander Calder (American, 1898-1976), three painted metal wall sculptures, c. 1949, incl.: “Moon Mask,” “Red Smiling Mask,” and “Blue Mask with Orange Nose,” h. 13¾ to 14½ in., Prov.: Commissioned from the artist by Curtis & Davis Architects for the Sazerac Bar, New Orleans.
- Lyell E. Carr (American, 1857-1912), “Near El Caney, Santiago de Cuba,” 1898, o/wood panel, sd., 13 x 9 3/8 in.
- John Abbot (American/Georgia, 1751-1840), “White or Red Bill Curlew,” 1791, wc., 11½ x 8½ in.
- Gari Melchers (American, 1860-1932), “Marie,” gouache/ paper, sd., 18½ x 11 in., Prov.: Sold for the benefit of the Morris Museum, Augusta, GA.
- Regency Brass Inlaid Rosewood Sofa Table, early 19th c., h. 27½ in.
- Clementine Hunter (American/Louisiana, 1886-1988), “Saturday Night Juke Joint,” o/canvas board, sd., 16 x 20 in.
- American Gothic Carved Mahogany Center Table, mid- 19th c., J. & J.W. Meeks, New York, labeled, h. 29¾ in.
- Monumental Newcomb College Art Pottery Vase, 1913, Sadie Irvine, h. 12½ in., Prov.: Ex-Charles and Susan Murphy Collection, New Orleans.
- Fine Louis XVI-Style Gilt Bronze-Mounted Mahogany Console, late 19th/early 20th c., Victor Raulin, Paris, labeled, h. 39½ in.
- Very Fine Set of Twelve Regency Carved Mahogany Dining Chairs, c. 1805 (showing 6 of 12).
- Walter Anderson (American/Mississippi, 1903-1965), “Study for the Proposed Court House Mural,” c. 1963, o/wood, 23¾ x 10½ in.
NEAL AUCTION COMPANY
Auctioneers & Appraisers of Antiques & Fine Art
4038 Magazine Street • New Orleans, Louisiana
504-899-5329 • fax 504-897-3808 • 1-800-467-5329
The successful bidder agrees to pay a buyer’s premium fee in the amount of 22% of the hammer price on each lot up to and including $200,000, plus 10% of the hammer price greater than $200,000. There will be no exceptions.
La. Auc. Lic. , Neal Auction Co. #AB-107, Alford #797, LeBlanc #1514